John Johnson was a papyrologist and Printer to the University of Oxford from 1925 to 1946. He formed a collection of ephemera at the University Press from a nucleus of a donation from Constance Meade of a collection made by Thomas Percy, swelled by materials that the Bodleian was at that time disposing of. He saw ephemera as a vital resource for the study of customs, social history, printing and design. Now numbering well over a million items, it includes over 4,000 mostly eighteenth and nineteenth-century ballads, many of them from the collection of W.D. Macray (1826-1916), Bodleian librarian and historian.
Bibliography: M L Turner, The John Johnson collection, catalogue of an exhibition, Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1971 [pdf]
Below are the volumes contained in this collection, click to expand.